Sunday, April 04, 2010

The Blue Truth About the Easter Bunny!!

The following is a true story - every word*!!

Me – “Girls, what are you doing?” ***spoken to Lindsey and Dawn as they are placing their empty Easter Baskets on the hearth at 9 PM on the night before Easter in Spring, Texas, in 1985***

Lindsey and Dawn – “Oh, we’re just putting out our Easter Baskets for the Easter Bunny to fill tonight while we’re sleeping.”

Me – “Girls, the Easter Bunny has already come this year.” ***this conversation was taking place at the end of a very long day of playing with cousins and having Easter Egg hunts and Easter celebrations that included completely full Easter Baskets for all 4 of our girls and cousins.***

Lindsey and Dawn – “Oh, we know you did those Easter Baskets because the real Easter Bunny doesn’t come until tonight!”

Me – “Girls, trust me, the Easter Bunny HAS come and those baskets will still be empty tomorrow morning.”

Lindsey and Dawn – “No, we know he will come. The real Easter Bunny doesn’t come until tonight!”

Me – emphatically stressing the EB would not be coming again as I sat in my chair hemming Crystal’s skirt for Easter Sunday – “Girls, I promise the Easter Bunny is not coming again (as I knew at 9 PM on Saturday night I was not about to go out again and try to purchase MORE Easter treats) and you need to just take your baskets back to your room.”

At this point, Lindsey and Dawn were beginning to show sincere signs of distress and genuine sorrow that the Easter Bunny might not come to their house and Dawn headed back to her bedroom, while Lindsey stayed in the den with me, continuing to protest the situation. Bob at this point (not in his finest moment) really begin to fuss at Lindsey to grow up, and accept the fact that we were indeed the ‘Easter Bunny’ and that there would be no more visits that night from the white, fluffy fellow!!! Lindsey at the tender age of 7 almost 8 continued to protest rather loudly, exclaiming “NO EASTER BUNNY, next you’ll try to tell me you’re the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause too!!!” I just looked at her sadly and shook my head affirming that yes, it was true, I was indeed the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. Lindsey begin to wail and cry almost hysterically. Bob in his very male manner and frustration with the hysterics of a crushed little 7 year old girl, yelled again “GROW up, I know Heather, Dawn and Crystal know the truth and aren’t acting like such a baby!!”

Now to make his point, Bob begin to walk back to the girls’ bedrooms where he assumed Crystal (11 almost 12), Dawn and Heather (8 almost 9) were changing for bed. He stopped abruptly in the hallway to 3 little girls standing one in front of the other, obviously listening in to the entire conversation taking place with our youngest daughter in the den. “GIRLS, you know that the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy are all make-believe, don’t you?” Heather, standing in the middle and with a tear rolling down her sweet cheek answered “we do now!”

A very traumatic evening in the Blue Household and one that Lindsey has never recovered from!!

(*I changed the date from 1984 after discussing with my sister, Sandy. I was originally incorrect on the year and the girls ages. It was 1985 not 1984.)

No comments: